An excellent opportunity has arisen for an experienced individual to promote technical excellence within a busy higher education laboratory environment. Based in a state-of-the-art suite of laboratories in a vibrant central London location, this post is key to ensuring a safe, efficient, productive and high quality research and teaching environment. Offering an outstanding working environment.
Reporting to the Department Manager the post supports the operational functioning of the Department (both teaching and research) and includes management and supervision of technical staff.
Health and Safety: -
- To provide a safe, efficient and professional working environment, acting as the Safety Officer and playing a full part in the work of the Safety Committee.
- To ensure that the Department complies with all relevant legislation and guidance, with regards health and safety, fieldwork, hazardous substances and procedures, HR and procurement.
- To ensure effective and compliant financial management in all aspects of the work of the laboratory suite
- To ensure that all procurement and purchasing for the laboratories is carried out in accordance with guidelines, to negotiate and implement services contracts as appropriate and to act as a Departmental authoriser when necessary
- To maintain and produce an inventory of all laboratory equipment to keep up-to-date records of all relevant service/maintenance contracts
Supporting teaching and research:-
- To support teaching and learning by providing practical scientific methods sessions supporting lectures, seminars/tutorials, practical classes and one-to-ones as required
- To ensure that all Department equipment and facilities are available and in good working order
- To liaise with laboratory users and key staff to prepare formal proposals for future-proofing the laboratory
Managerial responsibilities: -
- To act as line manager for the Department’s technical services staff with responsibility for performance, training and development
- To ensure that all space in the Department is deployed optimally to ensure support both for the curriculum and for the Department’s research portfolio
- Educated to degree level or with equivalent specialist professional experience
- Experience working in a laboratory environment essential
- Good working knowledge of relevant UK/EU legislation relating to health and safety
- Strong scientific knowledge to support a wide variety of activities
- Strong IT skills (MS office Excel, Word)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Previous line management experience
- Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy as well as part of a team
Salary of circa £45,000 per annum (negotiable dependent upon experience) plus London allowance. 27 day annual leave per annum, plus statutory holidays. Extensive benefit package.
Applications in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org, no agencies please. In view of the sometimes overwhelming number of applications received, it may not always be possible for us to respond to each one individually. If you do not hear from us within 5 working days, it should be assumed that on this occasion your application has not been successful